Electrical Safety in Rented Accommodation
According to the Office for National Statistics, 22 people died as a result of electrocution or fatal electric burns in 2010, while there were 20,403 accidental electrical fires in homes, resulting in 48 deaths and 3,324 injuries.
Landlords have a legal duty to ensure that the wiring in their homes that are rented is safe to use. This also applies to any electrical equipment that they provide for their tenants to use.
Regular appliance safety checks are highly recommended and electrical wiring checks should be completed by a qualified electrician.
The cost of ensuring that these safety issues are dealt with is minimal, yet the cost of not ensuring that electrical appliances and electrical systems are safe, can be extremely costly, both financially and also through the loss of life.
Please take a moment to watch Jane and Kate’s Stories and if you haven’t already done so, please reconsider implementing these safety checks so that we ensure that the rented accommodation world becomes a safer place for everyone.