A landlord found guilty of breaching the Building Act 1984 had also failed to comply with a number of fire safety regulations. Javid Iqbal had converted the upstairs of a public house into flats without applying for consent.
Appearing at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court on 19 April, he was fined £3,350 and ordered to pay £899 in costs as well as a £15 victim surcharge. Mr Iqbal had failed to fit the flats above the Windmill Pub, in Peterborough, with fire doors and adequate smoke alarms. There were also inadequate means of escape and emergency lighting.
The breaches came to light following a serious blaze at the property in September last year. An electrical fire that started on the ground floor spread, trapping an adult and a baby upstairs. Source: Info4Fire