What is Legionella? Legionnaires’ disease is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia caused by the inhalation of small droplets of contaminated water containing Legionella. It is a simple fact that the organism will colonise both large and small systems so both require risks to be managed effectively. What is a landlord? A landlord is anyone…Details
According to the Office for National Statistics, 22 people died as a result of electrocution or fatal electric burns in 2010, while there were 20,403 accidental electrical fires in homes, resulting in 48 deaths and 3,324 injuries.Details
In early February 2009 came the first reports of Local Authorities succesfully prosecuting both companies and individuals for failing to comply with Part P.
A bathroom fitter was fined a total of £1,500 and required to pay £1,066 in costs after pleading guilty to contravening the Building Regulations with regard to electrical work in a bathroom. The prosecution was brought by Bath & North East Somerset Council’s Building Control section.Details
An electrician admitted 23 counts of breaching Building Regulations with his shoddy repairs, which Newcastle magistrates were told could have had fatal consequences.
As a result, the 47 year old time served Newcastle electrician and his company were fined a total of more than £16,000.Details
The managing agent of a block of flats in London has been fined £100,000 and ordered to pay almost £13,000 in costs after pleading guilty to breaches of fire safety law.
Douglas and Gordon Ltd pleaded guilty to three breaches of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 at Southwark crown court on 29 June 2008. The leasehold owner of the premises in Gloucester Terrace, Paddington, Atomlynn Ltd, was fined £33,000 after pleading guilty to one offence under the Order and ordered to pay costs of £6,440.
A Hertfordshire tool supply company has been told to pay £27,000 for endangering workers after neglecting to maintain electrical systems and equipment.
Watford Magistrates’ Court heard today (25 April 2013) that tools including power hammers and grinding machines, as well as fixed electrical systems, were so poorly maintained at Arrow Tools in Waltham Abbey that they presented immediate and potentially fatal risks to employees.The failings were identified by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) during an inspection on 19 November 2009Details
A court fine was handed down recently after a caravan at a site in Cornwall was rented out without gas safety certificates.
The site’s owner, Shirley Cooper, received a two year conditional discharge at Bodmin Magistrates’ Court and ordered to pay £3,000 costs after failing to ensure gas appliances in the caravan were in a safe condition.
Landlords have been reminded that failure to properly service the gas appliances in their rental homes is “totally unacceptable”.
Heath and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Stephen Manley said poorly maintained boilers and radiators can put tenants’ lives at risk.
He issued the warning after a landlord from High Wycombe in Buckinghamshire was fined for breaching laws on gas safety.Details
A landlord found guilty of breaching the Building Act 1984 had also failed to comply with a number of fire safety regulations. Javid Iqbal had converted the upstairs of a public house into flats without applying for consent.Details